Want to get the best start to the new year? The answers may be in your past & in positive thinking.
Whether it be preparing your company to prosper in the new year or setting personal goals we tend to start by looking at what's missing, what we regret or what is negative. But what if instead of starting with the deficits you used Appreciative Inquiry, a strength based approach to planning.
AI has you look at what are you good at, what has worked well & should be celebrated & then has you look at what resources & advantages you have and envisions a future where you maximize them. The big idea is that by starting with the negatives you set the stage for only focusing on small, corrective actions. After a SWOT analysis and a discussion of all the barrier that stand in the way of your success organizations and people have a hard time seeing new opportunities or being innovative. But change the starting point and identify all the good - what have you achieved, what advantages and resources do you have, where do your outshine others - people tend to see more opportunity, take larger leaps and have for courage to champion change.
What Can You Do Now:
1. Start by creating a list of your 2015 accomplishments. What good things did you do? When was the organization most effective and productive (and why?) When and how did you create the most value for the organization and for the consumer?
2. Then create a resource and skills list you or your organization have. Prioritize them in order of uniqueness and by how important them might be to others.
3. Add to this a list of competitive advantages you have in the marketplace and why a consumer might value this.
4. Then ask yourself, with the things listed above - what of these things should you be doing more of, be using more, be maximizing and leveraging.
5. Finally write out a desired future for you or the company should you really make the most of your positives. Write it in the present tense as if it is already happened and you are celebrating all the success that has come to you AND TO YOUR CUSTOMER as a result. Share it with others.
Now take a peek back to all the good you have and step forward on a positive foot.